Friday, January 13, 2012

1/4 of a cow

My dad is a rancher, and knows all about the cattle market and what it is doing, at any given time.


I always enjoyed having all sorts of animals like, pigs, horses, goats, sheep, and cows, roaming the land when we were growing up. Even with all the stink and disgusting stuff they can do I still liked it. Jason, not so much.


But, no matter how bad they stink, I tell you, the 5 grandkids,


LOVE ANIMALS.


They don't care about the stink; they are begging Paw-Paw to take them to check the fence, feed the cows, or ride Darlene (the hores who all 5 grandkids rode last summer). They love it.



Well, 3 of dad's cows went to the slaugher house about a month. There are several families at church that all take about 1/4 or 1/2 of a cow, and eat on it for 1/2 a year or so. It is actually a little cheaper per pound, if you have a place to store all of it.


Here's our 1/4 of a cow.


Stacked nicely on the top 2 shelves of our freezer. This is actually not all of it; we couldn't fit all of it, and really weren't interested in eating the "ox tail" so we sent that to stay at my Grandmother's freezer.


I think beef is what's for dinner.

1 comment:

  1. o girl Paula Dean has a great OX TAIL recipe!!! I am wondering what am I going to make with so much meat!!!!

    ReplyDelete