my baby WON'T sleep??
I have a joke with a friend of mine from church, that "Jason and I LOVE to start bad habits with our children. I mean why not."
Well, we really DON'T like to start bad habits with them.....
It's just that.....
well,
WE
DO.
So, with that being said.
My baby WON'T sleep.
At night.
During the day.
In the car.
What should I do?
See, the bad habit we have is, we still swaddle him. But really, it has been to help him sleep all along.
Truth be known, we didn't swaddle him, just because we LOVE to make bad habits.
He is jumpy, and knocks his paci out.
So, he didn't sleep from 2:30 PM until I put him to bed at 9:30PM last night. You would think he would be SO Sleepy he would sleep all night.
NOPE.
He woke up at 1:30. Then I fed him at 2, but he has started acting like he DOESN'T want us to swaddle him, but then again, he won't go to sleep after you rock him, and try to lay him down.......
So.
We
Cry
A
Lot.
Anyways, any suggestions. And I might add; he is one stubborn cookie. He cried for an hour last night, and then I finally swaddled him after that. I know. BAD.
I don't know what to do.....
But, isn't he a cutie!!
I'm not even sure how I came across your blog, but I do have a suggestion! Our daughter just turned 1. She is still being nursed in the evenings and early mornings. For the first year, she slept HORRIBLE! Up almost every 2 hours, and even then, not sleeping well. She had to be put down after nursing and falling asleep. SO...when she turned 1, we tried the Ferber method. We put her in her bed, awake, and she cried. We waited the amount of time you are supposed to, and my husband went in to console her. The first night was hard, but she finally fell asleep after 45 minutes and SHE STAYED ASLEEP for 7 hours!! It took that one night, and we put her in her bed at the same time every night and she lays down and falls right asleep and she finally, FINALLY sleeps all night! I thought I had the most stubborn baby ever and I never thought this was going to work. But it did! You might try it? Some think it's cruel and mean, but it took 1 night, and it's not like you let your sweet baby cry for hours without checking on them! Good luck!!!
ReplyDeleteD'Laney once cried for almost 4 hours. But it only took a couple nights, and she was putting herself to sleep after that. She was closer to a year, though, when we were nursing less often. Crying it out has worked for both of our girls, but I'm sure it's not for every baby. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteI, too, am a BIG swaddler. I swaddled until they were about 4 mths and could break out. It was always a rough transition when I stopped, but only took a few days. I'm all for letting them cry it out. In my experience, it makes them madder to go check on them every 10/15 minutes. I think that part is more for the parents. I also know that not napping can make for a rougher night. More sleep sometimes equals more sleep. I've also learned there a phases and they seem horrible when you're going through them, but it's just a phase and if you handle it correctly (aka - don't hop into the crib with your child), it won't last too long. And talk to Stacy. She's actually seen a sleep theropist for her kids.
ReplyDeleteSwaddle him. What's the big deal?
ReplyDeleteI say if swaddling works...do it. I feel like we swaddled Remi forever!! Until eventually he couldn't fit in it anymore.
ReplyDeleteNot sure how I came across your blog but I love reading it. We swaddled my little girl until she was almost a year old. We even made a larger swaddle blanket for her. Our doctor said that is what she needed and when she didn't need it anymore, she'd let us know. We'd swaddle her as tight as we could, she'd fall asleep and as she got older and bigger, she would get out of it and not cry to be swaddled again. My son, her twin brother, didn't like to be swaddled and we quit swaddling him around 2 months. Some babies just need that to feel secure. I don't think it's a bad habit - you do what you got to do to be happy, healthy and well rested!
ReplyDeleteDon't know if you found the solution, but I came across this blog and she has some good tips at the end, and some recommendations on books!
ReplyDeletehttp://blueeyedbride.com/2011/02/23/babies-and-sleeping/