After finally convincing Jason to even get the dresser out of the barn, I had a really good time refinishing it!! My grandmother gave this to me when we first got married, and we haven't used it in nearly 5 years.
After Jaxon climbed on top of Kylee's white dresser, it came tumbling to the ground, and breaking things that were on top of it. So, the drawers were broken too.
I wanted to re-stain it darker, so I had to sand it. It had a pretty heavy coat of the shiny clear stuff on it.
I used 100 grit sand paper for all of it, but I was changing papers out A LOT. It probably would have gone faster with 60 or 80 grit, but we didn't have any, and I was to impatient. :)
Sanding the drawers and around all the drawers was the most tedious part. It probably was close to 5 hours of just sanding, which I did over 2 days.
I bought new hardware from Lowes, which was basically the only expensive for the dresser. I thought about spray painting the old with the antique bronze, but I wanted some of those dome shaped looking handles!! :)
On the 3rd day, I used Minwax Dark Walnut stain and applied it with a sock. I only had to do one coat. Then I finished it with a Minwax Finishing Wax. It has a really nice finish.
I am happy how it turned out!!
.jpg)
You made that look so expensive!! Great job!
ReplyDelete